Now that Halloween is over, winter is right around the corner. And while you may be looking forward to snow sports and ice skating, your skin isn’t so enthusiastic. Winter is hard on your skin.
Since we love good skin (preferably clear of unwanted hair!) at Romeo & Juliette Laser Hair Removal, here are some tips to help you rescue your skin from winter’s icy grip.
What does winter do to our skin?
Lack of moisture. That hasn’t been a problem in this wet summer. But as soon as you turn on the furnace, it draws moisture from the air, which then pulls the moisture out of your skin. Hot showers, harsh cold winds, and the frequent hand washing and drying to avoid catching the flu — they all leave your skin even dryer and more unprotected.
As your skin loses moisture, the outer layer begins to feel dry, itchy, and tight. Untreated, the skin may crack or form hard areas that feel like calluses. Ouch!
Ways to fight the dry
To counteract the effect the cold weather and indoor heating are wreaking on your skin, here are a few tips.
- Wash in lukewarm instead of hot water. Hot showers and baths feel great in the winter, but at least when washing your face and hands, use lukewarm water. That will strip away less oil from the skin.
- Moisturize afterwards. OK, you just took a shower. Towel off and then moisturize immediately. This helps seal the dampness into your skin.
- Go oil-based. In the winter, oil-based moisturizers are probably a better way to go, as they will help retain moisture in the harsh winter conditions.
- Cover up. You may be a tough customer, but don’t show it by not wearing gloves or scarves. Protect your skin from the wind, rain, and snow.
- Get rid of the dead cells. We often don’t exfoliate with masks or chemical peels in the winter because we assume these can dry out the skin. Not so. Plus, they remove the layers of dead skin cells, making it easier for moisture to get in.
- Humidifier. Add a humidifier to your bedroom. This helps prevent your skin from drying out.
- Drink water. People often drink less water in the winter because they are drinking more cocoa and tea. But you need the hydration from the inside. For a warm drink, add some lemon to warm water.
Winter is also a good time to do something about that unwanted hair at Romeo & Juliette. You can squeeze in a few sessions during the winter months and you’ll be hair-free come bikini season. Contact us at (212) 750-2000 to schedule your appointment.