What You Need to Do Before You Come In
- Posted on: Aug 15 2021
At Romeo & Juliette, removing your unwanted hair is all we do. And we have 12 different lasers to handle the job, ensuring we have the right laser to match your skin tone and hair type.
The process is pretty simple once you come to our beautiful offices on 5 East 57th Street in Manhattan. But there are some things we like our clients to do before their appointments. Let’s go through that stuff here.
Before your appointment
Remember that the key to the best success with laser energy and hair removal is the widest disparity between the color of the person’s hair and the color of the skin. That way, it’s easy for the laser energy to be set to match the hair color and not the skin. Beyond staying out of the sun, here are the other things we want you to do before your appointment.
- Stay out of the sun — Lasers target the melanin in your hair shafts. Melanin gives your hair its color. It also gives your skin its color, and it causes the skin to darken when it receives UV radiation. For the lasers to target your unwanted hair most efficiently, the wavelength we set should differ dramatically from your skin color. So, stay out of the sun for six weeks prior to your session, and allow there to be a contrast between the color of your hair and the color of your skin.
- No bronzers — Don’t use any sunless skin bronzers. Remember you want your skin as light as possible.
- Don’t pluck or wax — The hair follicle needs to be happy and unsuspecting it is about to be damaged with laser energy. So, don’t do your normal hair removal stuff: no plucking, waxing, or electrolysis for at least one month prior to your session.
- Don’t take blood thinners — Avoid any medications that can thin your blood. These are anti-inflammatory drugs, aspirin, and certain supplements.
- Shave the day before — Shaving only removes the hair shaft above the skin; it doesn’t bother the hair follicle. Removing the hair above the skin removes the hair that can potentially lightly burn the skin when the laser energy converts to heat energy in the hair shaft. We want the energy down into the hair follicle.
OK, now you know what to do before your appointment. But first you need to make an appointment. Give us a call at (212) 750-2000 to do so, and we’ll see you then!
Posted in: Laser Hair Removal