If you’re reading our blog at Romeo & Juliette Laser Hair Removal, you know we also throw in some tips on how to keep your skin not only hair-free, but healthy as well. This blog let’s address one of the hottest items in skin care — hyaluronic acid.
What is hyaluronic acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring glycosaminoglycan that is found throughout the body’s connective tissue. Hyaluronic acid’s main job is to provide structural support for the skin, plumping and firming the skin. It does this because hyaluronic acid can bind with 1000 times its weight in water. It also has the ability to regulate that moisture within the cells, keeping the levels right so the cells don’t drown in all of that water.
Why is hyaluronic acid good for the skin?
Hydration and hyaluronic acid (HA) go hand in hand. Here are some of the good things it does for your skin.
- HA functions as a humectant and holds water molecules onto the surface of your skin to keep it hydrated. It helps with hydration by slowing the rate at which water evaporates from the skin.
- Hydrated skin feels softer, is more plump and firm, and it actually looks more radiant.
- When skin is hydrated, lines and wrinkles are not as visible.
- HA works on any skin type. Even oily skin benefits from HA.
- Recent research is showing HA has antioxidant properties. In the skin this means providing a shield against free radicals, like those coming from pollution.
Benefits of hyaluronic acid for your skin:
- Wound healing
- Decreases wrinkle visibility
- Increases skin elasticity
- Can treat eczema
- Can treat rosacea
Hyaluronic acid is definitely a hot topic in skin care and dermatology these days. Lots of research is ongoing on even wider benefits, such as wound healing. So, when you see hyaluronic acid in skin care products, it’s not all hype.
Of course, having your skin nicely hydrated is great, but if it’s still covered with hair you’re continually fighting to get rid of…Hmm. Could be a good time to call the team at Romeo & Juliette Laser Hair Removal and have nicely plumped skin without pesky hair all over it. Call us at (212) 750-2000 to schedule an appointment.