Splendor X Laser
At Romeo & Juliette Laser Hair Removal we have the largest selection of lasers of any hair removal practice — 12 lasers. Let’s introduce you to one of those lasers, the Lumenis Splendor X.
What is the Splendor X Laser?
When Lumenis created the Splendor X, they sought to improve the performance of available lasers for hair removal. To do so, they combined two laser wavelengths into a single platform. This allows the Splendor X to deliver optimal hair removal regardless of the patient’s skin type and hair color. It features numerous improvements, such as large spot sizes, fast repetition, and a square spot shape, giving our technicians ultimate flexibility when using Splendor X for removing hair permanently on our patients from across the New York area.
What are the benefits of the Splendor X laser?
At Romeo & Juliette, we love the Splendor X laser for a variety of reasons:
- Blend X — The Splendor X synchs two laser wavelengths, Nd:YAG (1064nm) and Alexandrite (755nm) into one delivery option. This enables us to adjust the treatment to the patient’s skin type, hair color, and hair thickness.
- Square shape spot sizes — The Splendor X delivers its laser energy in a square spot shape. This is an improvement over the usual circular spot shapes. This allows our technicians to cover the treatment areas in a uniform pattern. This eliminates overlap and the need for later touch-ups of missed spots.
- Fast treatments — The Splendor X has a large spot size, 27 mm x 27 mm, and a rapid repetition rate. This makes for much faster treatment times.
- Cooling — Splendor X features a dual cooling system designed to deliver contact cooling and cold air exactly over the treated area. This keeps our patients comfortable during their laser hair removal sessions.
How does Splendor X work?
Splendor X delivers laser energy in fast repetitions onto the unwanted hair. The large spot sizes and square shape ensure we completely cover the entire area without any missed portions or unnecessary overlap. The two laser wavelengths allow us the ultimate flexibility to adjust the energy delivered for any skin type and hair color.
Once we’ve matched the laser wavelength to the color of the melanin in your unwanted hair, the Splendor X delivers short, fast bursts of laser energy down onto the unwanted hairs. At the same time, the system’s dual cooling system delivers contact cooling directly onto the skin and cold air over the wider treated area. This keeps patients completely comfortable.
As the laser energy hits the unwanted hairs, the melanin in the hair shafts absorbs the light energy, which instantly converts to heat. This heat then travels down the hair shaft into the hair follicle where it is anchored. There the heat destroys or thoroughly damages the hair follicle, precluding it from producing hair in the future.
Is the Splendor X laser effective for all skin and hair types?
At Romeo & Juliette, we’ve been thrilled with the versatility of the Splendor X system. Lumenis has powered Splendor X with what it calls “Blend X” technology. This is the combination of nd:YAG and Alexandrite laser wavelengths. The two wavelengths can be synchronized to be fired with varying proportions, and this allows us to tailor our treatments according to the patient’s skin type, hair color, and hair thickness. This allows us to use the Splendor X for darker skin tones and lighter hair colors than could be treated by most lasers.
Typically, when addressing darker skin tones or lighter hair colors, the laser energy needs to be dramatically lowered because the laser has trouble differentiating between the hair color and skin color. That can lead to skin damage by the laser energy, hence the need to drop the power. The problem is: once you drop the power you don’t damage the skin, but you also don’t damage the hair follicle to the necessary degree.
We can avoid these issues with the Splendor X, thanks to the system’s versatility.
How do I prepare for a laser hair removal session?
There are certain things we tell our laser hair removal clients to do so that we are able to remove the most hair permanently. These are the things to pay attention to before your session with the Splendor X Laser in NYC:
- Stay out of the sun — Lasers target the melanin in your hair shafts. Melanin gives your hair its color. It also gives your skin its color, and it causes the skin to darken when it receives UV radiation. For the Splendor X laser to most efficiently target your unwanted hair, the wavelength we set should differ dramatically from your skin color. So, stay out of the sun for 2-3 weeks prior to your session, and allow there to be a contrast between the color of your hair and the color of your skin.
- No bronzers — Don’t use any sunless skin bronzers.
- Don’t pluck or wax — The hair follicle needs to be happy and unsuspecting it is about to be damaged with laser energy. So, don’t do your normal hair removal stuff: no plucking, waxing, or electrolysis for at least one month prior to your session. Shaving is fine, as it doesn’t affect the hair follicles, only the hair shafts.
- Don’t take blood thinners — Avoid any medications that can thin your blood. These are anti-inflammatory drugs, aspirin, and certain supplements.
- Shave the day before — Shaving only removes the hair shaft above the skin; it doesn’t bother the hair follicle. Removing the hair above the skin removes the hair that can potentially lightly burn the skin when the laser energy converts to heat energy in the hair shaft. We want the energy down into the hair follicle.
Is the procedure Safe?
The Splendor X system combines high power with extensive variability, enabling us to treat a wide range of skin tones and hair colors with ultimate safety. The square spot size ensures we completely cover the treatment areas, without overlap. And the system’s dual cooling capabilities keep our patients ultimately comfortable.
Overall, laser hair removal has proven to be reliable, effective, and safe. Lasers have been used for laser hair removal for almost 30 years, and the process was extensively tested prior to becoming commercially available. The most common side effects after treatment include skin irritation, such as redness and slight swelling on the treatment sites. This usually passes within a few hours.
Is laser hair removal painful with the Splendor X laser?
Prior to their first appointment with the Splendor X Laser in NYC, some patients incorrectly assume that laser hair removal involves vaporizing the hairs with the laser energy, but that’s not how the process works. The laser energy delivered is much lower and it simply travels down the hair shaft and damages the hair follicle. When the laser pulses are delivered, patients feel a very brief prickling sensation. Most patients equate the feeling to that of a small rubber band being plucked on the skin. The Splendor X’s dual cooling mechanisms ensure your skin does not get too hot, so you stay comfortable during the treatment. Some areas are more sensitive than others, but these brief treatments are still more comfortable than shaving or waxing every couple of weeks forever.
Schedule a consultation for Laser Hair Removal with the Splendor X laser in NYC
To learn more about laser hair removal with the Splendor X laser in NYC, please contact our office today to schedule an appointment.