Hello Winter. Hello Dry Skin.
- Posted on: Nov 15 2019
At Romeo & Juliette Laser Hair Removal, we’re always focused on keeping our patients as hair-free as possible in those unwanted places such as their underarms and their bikini line. But we also like to help with skin care tips when applicable, and November heading into a dark, cold winter is definitely applicable.
So, here’s a list of some things you can do to combat dry skin:
- Take only one 5- to 10-minute shower or bath daily. Use warm rather than hot water, too. That way you won’t strip away your skin’s natural oils.
- Minimize your soap use. Choose moisturizing soaps such as Olay or Basis, or try soap-free cleansers like Cetaphil and Aquanil. No deodorant soaps or perfumed soaps, as they’ll strip the natural oils from your skin.
- Take it easy on your skin. Sponge baths, brushes, washcloths…people can go a little crazy and traumatize their skin. In the winter, scrubbing isn’t necessary. Use a light touch. And when toweling dry, try patting or blotting instead of grinding the towel across your body.
- Apply moisturizer immediately when you get out of the shower or after washing your hands. This helps to plug the spaces between your skin cells and seal in moisture while your skin is still damp.
- No scratching. Control itches with moisturizer. If that doesn’t relieve the spot, use a cold compress.
- When shaving in the winter, use a shaving cream or gel and leave it on your skin for several minutes before starting. This minimizes how much it dries your skin.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. Just because it seems like it’s dark all the time in winter, when you go out in the snow protect your skin with sunscreen. The snow is a great reflector of sun.
- Use fragrance-free laundry detergents and avoid fabric softeners in the winter.
- Ditch the itchy wool sweaters. Replace them with fleece. It’s just as warm, much lighter, and it won’t make your dry skin want to go berserk.
And don’t forget the hair. Winter’s a great time to remove unwanted hair so you’re hair-free come swimsuit season. Call New York’s laser hair removal experts at Romeo & Juliette, (212) 750-2000, to schedule a free consultation.