You change your wardrobe for summer, but you stick with the same skin care routine. Yes, there should be similarities in what you do all year round, but you’ve got to give a nod to that one constant of a Manhattan summer — humidity and sun.
Since we like to give our laser hair removal clients tips every now and then about caring for their skin (after we get rid of the unwanted hair), let’s do just that in this midsummer night’s dream, skin care blog.
Here are a few tips for changing up your summer skin care routine, gleaned from the vastness of the Internet just for you.
- Lighten up — Lighten up your cleanser. Ditch the heavy winter cleanser and go with a gentle, foaming variety.
- Drop a step — You don’t need to have separate moisturizer and sunscreen in summer. Combine them with a lightweight moisturizer with SPF 30 or more.
- Humidity doesn’t equal moisturizer — Some people assume sweaty summer skin is moisturized. Nope. You should follow cleansing with moisturizer. This reestablishes the outer protective layer of your skin. Use the combo moisturizer from above.
- Vitamin C is for thee — Vitamin C serums are important in the summer. Put on a few drops after cleansing and before moisturizing.
- Navy shower — In the summer, we all take more frequent showers after sweating, workouts, the beach, and all. Pretend you’re on the USS Nimitz and keep the subsequent second or third shower very short so not to over-dry your skin.
- Exfoliate more — In summer you can exfoliate your skin more, thanks to the ample oil covering it. This is especially true if you have oily skin. Alpha-hydroxy pads are good for opening blocked pores and removing oils.
- Hydration nation — Hydration is always good for your skin, but in the summer it’s imperative. Eight glasses of water a day in the summer is a good number.
- Have it made in the shade — You don’t have to cower under an umbrella all the time at the beach like some sort of vampire, but it’s good to wear protective clothing and sit in the shade at least during the hot midday period.
- Sunscreen — You know the drill. If you can’t stay out of the sun, using a lotion with an SPF of 4 isn’t an alternative. There aren’t any secrets about sun damage and photoaging caused by the sun’s ultraviolet rays. Gone are the days of laying on the roof and applying, wait for it, baby oil!
Do this stuff and your skin will be happy, even if your sweat glands feel as if they’re working a double during a hot July day in the city. And when you want to cool off, stop by our beautiful offices on East 57th street and let us get rid of some unwanted hair while you’re at it. Call us at Romeo & Juliette, (212) 750-2000, to make an appointment.
Posted in: Laser Hair Removal Lasers, Skin Care